November 08, 2005

Upper Dibgate Camp
23th August 1916

Dear Mother,

I think it is about time I wrote a letter to you. If you ever forget my address or don't know where I am, be sure and address all letters to Army Post Office, London; and have my name and number, for they would never find me without the number, which is #488944.

We are being drilled pretty hard, and I expect to be through with the drill part of the training and get shooting and bayenet fighting and bombing. When we finish that, I will be ready for the front. It may not be long now. There are men going from this Batt. every week in drafts.

There is all kinds of clubs here for the soldiers. We get good meals here, the finest I have seen in the army yet.

I have not been able to get a pass to London yet, but will as soon as we pass the most part of the drill. It is a pass that the King gives all Canadian soldiers, and is a six-day pass. Norman Black and I are going together. He is that fellow from Windsor that was my bunk mate at McNabs Island.

Loveingly,

Winnie