November 09, 2005

6th November 1916, Upper Dibgate

Dear Herbert.

Look here, Kid. Take a tip from me an stop wanting to enlist. You could do nothing but go in the home guards and stay there awhile, and it would be a deuce of a awhile. You hold your horses awhile and go to school every day, and by the time you are seventeen you can get out and enlist.

Don't be afraid that the war will be over by then, because if you ask me, it is going to last some time after 1920. So be a good boy and stay on the farm for a while, and go to school every day you possibly can, as that is the best thing you can ever do. I am haveing a pretty good time just now, but I don't know how long it is going to last. Most of the men here are not near as well off as I am by a long sight.

Well, old boy, I must close now hoping to hear from you soon.

Your Loveing Brother,

Winnie