August 08, 2005

Update on the CanLit Reading Project

One month ago, I solicited suggestions for a September reading program in Canadian literature. I have also asked some offline friends for the same advice. Thank you all for the recommendations. Here's where that list stands now:

  • The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston
  • The Watch that Ends the Night by Hugh MacLennan
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (a good suggestion, but disqualified simply because I have read it many times)
  • Who Has Seen the Wind by W. O. Mitchell
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat
  • The Russlander by Sandra Birdsell
  • In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje
  • Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler
  • something by Adele Wiseman (in the absence of any specific recommendation I would probably choose The Sacrifice)
  • something by Guy Vanderhaeghe (The Englishman's Boy is out of the running, but I would probably consider The Last Crossing)

In addition I would also be interested in a recommendation of a good anthology of Alice Munro's short stories, though oddly enough someone actually cast a vote against her.

I want to start gathering some books together starting in the last week of August, so if you have anything to add, please feel free to comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment