October 17, 2004

These foolish things remind me of you

Important scientific discovery: Hot water in a closed container is like a pop bottle under pressure. I just learned this the hard way while brewing some iced tea: having poured boiling water over some loose green tea, I had a brief moment of stupidity in which I absent-mindedly gave the pitcher a quick shake to mix up the contents.

Fssssssst!!!!

About half a liter of freshly boiled water with a hint of jasmine sprayed all over the kitchen counter, the side of the fridge, and the window blinds. And my hand.

Ouch ouch ouch.

At the time of writing, the first three fingers of my left hand are visibly redder than my right, and they feel like they're on fire. I have now experienced first-degree scalds for the first time in my life, and I wouldn't be surprised if I see blisters or wake up in the middle of the night screaming for death.

The moral: Don't shake closed containers of scalding hot tea.

I'm not stupid.

Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment