June 17, 2009

It's no better to be safe than sorry

When I did the previous month of 80s nostalgia, I named Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" and the Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now" as the Eightiesest Song of the Eighties. Shortly afterward, a friend Twittered me asking, basically, "What about 'Take On Me,' scum?"

So here it is: from Norway, A-Ha's "Take On Me" is officially my third most Eightiesest Song of the Eighties. On the other hand, I think the video, featuring some amazing rotoscoping, is number one:

Interestingly, this was the second recording and video for "Take On Me": the first featured different instrumentation, and the band merely singing against a blue background. But of course it is the comic-book version that everyone remembers, and subsequently won numerous awards. "Take On Me" was a number one hit for A-Ha in October 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment