January 06, 2004

And now . . . this

From Great Britain, apparently attempting to compete with the United States as silly lawsuit capital of the world, comes the newest poster boy for a loser-pay model of tort law:

A chef who cut his finger is suing a hotel for £25,000 compensation by claiming no-one warned him about the danger posed by an avocado.

Michael McCarthy, 21, sliced into his hand when the unripened avocado he was trying to cut slipped and he lost control of his kitchen knife.

He claims he had been shown how to cut the fruit, but had not been told the avocado might not be ripe.

[Full Story]

I am not a chef, and I can count the number of avocados I have prepared in my life on the fingers of one hand. I lack experience with these clearly dangerous fruit. Without proper training, then, how could I ever have figured out that a rock-hard avocado isn't ripe?