February 09, 2007

Blogging the Blogroll #2: La Shawn Barber's Corner

Somewhere in 2004, I heard a new word: Kwanzaa, the "black Christmas." I knew nothing about this (it's hardly celebrated by American blacks, and probably even less so in Canada), so I decided to do a little research. A search or two on Google eventually uncovered "Kwanzaa is for Pagans" by one La Shawn Barber.

That's the way I remember it, anyway. It could also very well be that I just followed a link from Michael King's blog, which I had blogrolled very early (and kept until he decided to give it up). Heh. Either way, La Shawn's article was both informative and well written, just the kind of thing I happened to be looking for.

La Shawn writes frequently on a variety of subjects, but is especially good in her critiques of affirmative action or race relations. She generally writes from the "wrong" side of the issue - if someone like, say, me were to do so, it wouldn't have half the credibility as it does coming from a black woman. Her recent series of posts on the so-called "Duke rape case," for example, have made for fascinating reading.

Additionally, of course, La Shawn is a Christian and Reformed; skin colour aside, that means she's family. And since we both have a degree in English and like Harry Potter, then we're sort of kindred spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment