September 05, 2003

"I'm not racist, but . . ." - Psycho-fundies and interracial marriage

Interracial marriage has been one of the hot topics on "Dr." Phil Kidd's guestbook lately. There is a strong belief in many psycho-fundy circles that interracial marriages are wrong. This was the motivation behind the infamous ban on interracial dating at Bob Jones University, for example.

Although most psycho-fundies don't appear to be overtly racist to me, it appears as though interracial marriages are the last racial taboo to fall. Frequently I have seen some fundy express distaste or even disgust with the idea of an interracial marriage, prefacing their remarks with "I'm not racist, but . . ."

Then, on the other hand, there are the more virulent sort, such as this post from "Dr." Kidd's guest book, added yesterday:

I have been to Japan, Okinawa, Iceland and Canada and it churns my stomach to see ANYONE marry a foreigner and to see the problems that they have. Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino and Mexican marriages, to an American citizen are not only indecent but they are a travesty of justice. Just what America needs, more homes without citizenship.

From a Bible standpoint I cannot find a lot of issues, but as an America I am crying rape.

Trying to extract a biblical foundation for this position from these people is like pulling hen's teeth. Nonetheless, I have managed to scrounge a few proof-texts together, and in subsequent entries I hope to analyze some of them, God willing.