October 10, 2005

Best. Solo Thanksgiving dinner. Ever.

I don't get home for Thanksgiving much these days, since my parents usually spend the first week or so of October. Sometimes friends at church will get together for an impromptu Thanksgiving dinner/potluck thingy, which can be fun. But not this year. So I was stuck on my own.

But that's all right, because my friend Jen suggested a really simple, yet potentially tasty, curried turkey recipe that I wanted to try. So I did, and man, am I glad.

Here's what I did. Measurements are approximate, as I tended just to approximate on the ingredients. Also, where I deviated from the script, I've noted it.

  • 1 lb boneless turkey breast, sliced into strips (no turkey on hand; I used chicken)
  • 1/2 can coconut milk
  • 2 Tbsp Thai curry (approx.; I wanted to use the dangerously hot red kind, but couldn't find any, so I used the milder green kind and added some diced jalapeno to the recipe)
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter (approx.; I used the crunchy all-natural kind)
  • Juice of one lime (I added this to the mix myself; it certainly did no damage to the recipe)
  1. At this point I would encourage my readers to crack open a suitable beer to drink while cooking. However, in honour of the occasion, may I instead suggest a fine Canadian cranberry wine, or perhaps my favourite white, an Australian Semillon?
  2. In a large frying pan with a little oil, brown the chicken - I mean, turkey, heh heh heh - slightly.
  3. Add the coconut milk, curry, peanut butter, and lime, and stir together.
  4. Simmer, covered, until the turkey is cooked through (1 hour is probably a safe bet).

At the end I found that the liquid in the pan was starting to get a little thick - it's the peanut butter's fault, I think - so I stirred in a little water until it reached the consistency I wanted.

Serve over rice with whatever extinguishers (my first attempt was quite spicy) or festive beverages you want. I finished off with a "dessert" of sorts that was another taste of Asia: a big mug of Chai tea.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment