October 14, 2006

Why I hate silly quizzes

Well, actually, I love them, as long as they affirm my preconceived notions. This one didn't:

You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan. You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

68%

Neo orthodox

61%

Reformed Evangelical

61%

Fundamentalist

61%

Emergent/Postmodern

43%

Roman Catholic

36%

Charismatic/Pentecostal

36%

Classical Liberal

29%

Modern Liberal

4%

What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com

Interestingly, just by redoing the quiz, but eliminating the "mildly agree/disagree" categories, and reserving the middle option for questions that were ambivalent or loaded, I did manage to score 86% Reformed Evangelical, 79% Fundamentalist, and only 71% Wesleyan. This isn't just the answer I want, it's what I know to be true by what I affirm. I attribute the skewed results above to ambiguities in the questions themselves. Do I believe "God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him"? Of course; only I mean something different by it than a Wesleyan would. Is it true that "[t]he gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us"? Absolutely, although in the former case, the Holy Spirit is not the exclusive assurance of salvation, and in the latter, I wouldn't use the language of "surrender" that is common in Holiness circles.

Still, it's fun to try and figure out why a particular quiz doesn't give you the answers you expect, especially when you know better.

(H/T to my friend Brandt for bringing it to my attention.)

No comments:

Post a Comment