August 28, 2004

Nope, no media bias here (yet more bad abortion rights rhetoric)

From yesterday's Corner at National Review Online:

AH, REUTERS [Ramesh Ponnuru]
Doug Johnson, legislative director of the National Right to Life Committee, sent out a press release on the latest partial-birth ruling. Here's an email he got in response from Todd Eastham, the North American news editor for Reuters: "What's your plan for parenting & educating all the unwanted children you people want to bring into the world? Who will pay for policing our streets & maintaining the prisons needed to contain them when you, their parents & the system fail them? Oh, sorry. All that money has been earmarked to pay off the Bush deficit. Give me a frigging break, will you?"

"Mr. Eastham," I respond, "here is my two-year-old daughter. Even though I was responsible for bringing her into this world, I now feel that my responsibility has ended." From somewhere within the folds of my clothing, I produce a Glock .45 handgun and point it at her temple. "Unless you agree within the next thirty seconds to adopt her and raise her, I am going to blow her brains out."

"But . . . but -" Eastham sputters, "that's different."

"How so?" I ask. I finger the safety on my handgun, and Eastham visibly turns another shade of green.

"She's . . . a person," he stammers.

"Aha! So we finally get to the real issue, don't we?" I put the gun away, pointing out to Eastham that it was, in fact, unloaded all along. "It's not about poverty or crime. Those issues serve as distractions from the real issue. It's about the identity of the unborn. That question trumps all others. Is an unborn child a human person, or not? If she isn't, then what's the problem? If she is, then my reluctance to adopt her doesn't justify the abortionist's willingness to kill her."

No comments:

Post a Comment