July 12, 2004

Plog?

So apparently Amazon is now using a new tactic to get me to buy books I don't want: a "plog." What's a "plog"? Apparently it's a "personalized log." To me, it looks like one of the usual automatic recommendations, dressed up to look like a blog entry.

But it's the bizarre arbitrariness of the recommendation I saw today that gets me. I quote:

My Life was released today; We thought you'd be interested because you bought Creed or Chaos? Why Christians Must Choose Either Dogma or Disaster (Or, Why It Really Does Matter What You Believe).

Somehow, since two years ago I bought a book of theology by Dorothy L. Sayers, the Amazonians in their infinite wisdom seem to think I would be interested in Bubba's bloated autobiography today.

I don't see the connection. Unless: Sayers was writing about the necessity of creeds and dogma in the Church of England, and Bubba had no use for creeds and dogma, only the church, to prop up his presidency with ersatz spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment