January 26, 2024

Friday in the Wild: January 26, 2024

Last week's Friday in the Wild was a long one; conversely, this week's is short, as was my time for reading blogs.


I follow Prof. Oliver Tearle's Substack, Interesting Literature because, as its unassuming name suggests, it's about interesting literature. I always look forward to posts where his and my reading interests coincide (and, with him being an English professor and me an English graduate, that happens often enough for my liking). It's nice to come across a brief, accessible, and scholarly analysis of a familiar book or poem.

This week, Prof. Tearle posted an article about the source and meaning of the phrase "turn the other cheek." There's nothing surprising here to biblically literate readers. In this day and age, I guess I'm just impressed he didn't make it weird.

To what extent Jesus is taking Mosaic law further and to what extent he appears to be going against it is open to interpretation, but the main message, perhaps, to take from this passage is tolerance, forbearance, and forgiving one's enemies. As Oscar Wilde later added, "nothing annoys them so much."

[Read "Turn the Other Cheek": Meaning, Analysis and Origin]

As St. Paul also said (see Romans 12:20, quoting Proverbs 25:21–22).


In the last week, Samuel Sey , Owen Strachan, and Carl Trueman have all posted articles about Christians attending same-sex or transgender weddings. Samuel and Owen are responding directly to the controversy over Alistair Begg's remarks on his radio program. Carl doesn't mention Begg, but the timing of his article is, at least, fortuitous.

I actually have an article on this topic in the works to be posted early next week. In the meantime, I'm in general agreement with all three of those articles, and I commend them to your attention.


Well, I said it was short. Until next time, Share and Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment