October 08, 2012

Thankfulness

Yesterday morning, our senior pastor dropped a bombshell during his Thanksgiving sermon: he announced his resignation to accept the presidency of Heritage College and Seminary in Cambridge, Ontario. (The story he told of how he gradually came to this decision was touching. If and when I revive my rather moribund series on the will of God, I may have to find a way to include it.)

Pastor Rick has been a part of our church family for nearly 15 years—only a few months' shorter time than I have been there myself. In fact, he candidated for the pulpit only a week before I moved to Ottawa: in the midst of the infamous 1998 ice storm, no less, which fortunately didn't stop him from moving to Canada from California in the end! He is probably the finest expository teacher I have ever heard in Real Life, and also someone with whom I've had a good "professional" relationship, of a sort, as the computer operator who turns his PowerPoint slides for him a few Sunday evenings per month.

It will be very disappointing to see Pastor Rick go. Heritage's gain is our loss. But I would rather not eulogize his pastorate on Thanksgiving weekend; rather, I'd prefer to list a few things for which I am now profoundly thankful.

  • I am thankful for having met Rick Reed, and that I can count him as a friend.
  • I am thankful for his faithful exposition of the Word of God these past 15 years, and for the way that he preached exactly the message that I needed to hear on several occasions, his encouragement, his devotion to his pastoral duty, his personal integrity, and his Christian humility.
  • I am thankful that the Met's partnership with Heritage means he isn't really gone all that far.
  • I am thankful for the rest of our pastoral staff and the board of elders, whose oversight will ensure that we will weather the coming changes.
  • I am thankful for the wisdom of the elders, whose recommendations of pastoral candidates has always had the overwhelming confidence of the congregation.
  • I am thankful for the Met, a beacon of the Gospel and a locus of biblical faithfulnes in the Ottawa area for 80 years.

It is that last bullet that is most significant. Senior pastors will come and go (Pastor Rick is the eighth), but the church stays, because its head is not in the ever-changing parade of staff, but the unchanging Christ. I am called to fellowship with the local assembly, not to follow a man about the country like a spiritual Deadhead.

On the same day that Rick Reed resigned, I submitted my application for membership in the Met. The work of the Gospel continues here in Ottawa, and I want to be part of it for the long hall. Meanwhile, I think it will be in good hands in Cambridge.

God speed, Pastor Rick.

1 comment:

  1. It can certainly be difficult when one's pastor moves on. Mine resigned some three years ago to go back to the mission field in the middle east. We had a guest speaker one Sunday from York, England. The next Sunday pastor Denny asked me how I liked the previous week's service and sermon. I replied that I though he spoke very well. To which Denny replied, "Good. He's going to be your new pastor. I wanted to tell you first owing to our friendship." I was floored. Some weeks later Mark (our new pastor) moved his family in and Denny moved on. He is now pastor of the expatriate church in Bahrain. Mark was a teacher at Calvary Chapel College in York and this has been his first pastorate. He has developed into a wonderful pastor.
    Hang in there, as I'm sure you will. God has many ways of using whom-so-ever He pleases to do what-so-ever He pleases.

    ReplyDelete